Friday, December 28, 2007

Murakami@MOCA

Finally made it to the Takashi Murakami exhibit at MOCA last night...fabulous!! Our day trip to Little Tokyo began in the afternoon as Rick, Carey, Carlos and I first walked around J-Town for a bit before visiting the Japanese American National Museum to see the "Landscaping America" exhibit about the art, community, and influence of the JA gardener on the American landscape over the last century. Both my grandfathers were gardeners after WWII, one of the few ways they could earn a living after getting out of the internment camps, so it brought back a lot of memories, as did the continuing exhibit of the internment camps themselves. I'm always moved by the actual barrack from Heart Mountain, WY on display. My father and his family were in the Heart Mountain camp (my mom and her family at Poston, AZ), and I can't help but imagine the heartache and extreme circumstances and conditions, yet also the amazing perseverance and ingenuity of the Japanese American community in those years. Also thoroughly enjoyed the Giant Robot exhibit celebrating the 50th issue of their publication (congrats GR!), the show featuring a diverse sampling of emerging artists they know and work with. Then we made our way over to the MOCA for Murakami. I was struck by the scale of most of his work, the array of color that bombard the senses, and the fascinating juxtaposition of ancient/future, cute/explicit, sterile/organic that infuse his sculptures and paintings. Totally worthy of your time! More info here



2 comments:

Delta Boy said...

So Cool! You guys looked liked you had fun!

-DB-

Anonymous said...

I hope I can catch this soon too. I was amazed by the artwork Murakami did on Kanye West's Graduation album.