Friday, January 4, 2008

Morning Surprise

I awoke this morning to the sounds of clanging plates and utensils and others strange goings-ons in the kitchen. Then my daughter comes over and says, "Don't come in the kitchen, we have a surprise." I'm thinking, that can't be good :) After five minutes of fretting over whether my kids were going to burn down our kitchen or needing a trip to urgent care, I decided to call out to my daughter, "Are you using the stove or oven or something?" "No," she says, "just the waffle maker." When I went into the kitchen, my kids were whipping up some fresh waffles and had set the table for 4, with drinks poured and a flower vase for adornment. My son called my wife down from upstairs and we together glowed in the wonderful surprise and basked in pride at what our kids had done. Somehow I knew this was significant, a giant step toward independence (theirs). My kids were growing up.

No comments: